Roads and Paths

Oxford Journal, Saturday 17th July 1802, BUCKLAND INCLOSURE.

The following is an extract, the full entry can be viewed as a PDF Buckland to Charney and other places.

PUBLIC CARRIAGE ROADS.

Buckland to Charney and other Places.

Beginning at the West End of Summer Side Street, in the Village of Buckland, and extending Southward, in its present Course, to the London Road, and after crossing that Road, then through and over the Common Fields and Buckland Downs to the Road next after described leading from Stanford to Pusey; and after crossing that Road, then extending South Eastward to a Gateway in the Boundary Fence of Ganfield Farm, which Road is to remain of the Breadth of forty Feet.

Oxford Journal, Saturday 28th July 1804, CHARNEY INCLOSURE.

The following is an extract, the full entry can be viewed as a PDF Charney Inclosure 28th July 1804.

One public Road, of the Breadth of thirty Feet, leading out of the Severals, at Pack Gate, and extending Across the Little East Field, nearly in its present Track into the Liberty of Lyford, and called Lyford Way.

One other public Road, of the Breadth of forty Feet, leading from the Village of Charney, in its present Track into the Liberty of Hinton, at Grove Mead Stream, and called Sheephouse Field Way.

One other public Road, of the like Breadth of forty Feet, leading from the Village of Charney, in its present Track of Ganfield Gate, and called Faringdon Way.

One public Bridle Road and Foot Path, of the Breadth of twelve Feet, leading out of Faringdon Way, at Butt Lane End, in its present Track into the Liberty of Pusey, and called Pusey Way.

One other public Bridle Road and Foot Way, of the like Breadth of twelve Feet, leading out of the Village of Charney, near Nighat Gate, in a westwardly Direction on the North Side of Nighat Hedge into the Cow Common, and extending from thence its present Track into the Liberty of Stanford, and called Stanford Way.

One public Foot Path, of the Breadth of six Feet, leading from the Village of Charney, at Tomkins’s Gap, in its present Track into Grove Mead, and called Longworth Path.

One other public Foot Path, of the like Breadth of six Feet, leading from the Village of Charney, at Tomkins’s Gap, in its present Track into the Liberty of Longworth, at Red Mead Stile, and called Abingdon Path.

And one other Foot Path, of the like Breadth of six Feet, leading from the Village of Charney, at Nighat Stile, across Nighat Common, in its present Track into an old Inclosure in Charney called the Pens, and called Goosey Path.

The Green

Contract to The Mechanical Tar Spraying and Grouting Co Ltd, 118 Victoria Street, Westminster, London. 12 August 1937

Charney Bassett Road to Manor Farm 190yds £255. Drainage and at least one catch pit to be constructed and connected to existing drain.

Omit southern fork.

New Road

New Road was built some time earlier than 1871 (when the School was built).

Orchard Close

Orchard Close was built in 1966.

Click to enlarge and scroll:

Barnfield

Barnfield was built in 1984-1985.