Map of 1899
The Horn Inn
‘The Horn Inn’, closed c1945 Maud Ody recalls celebrating VE Day in The Horn so it is most likely 1945, was just next to and south of ‘The Chequers Inn’ and is now a residential property, ‘Hillside’.
The building dates from the mid to late 18th Century and is made from coursed limestone rubble with a late C19 tile roof. The name and sign (photo below) presumably derived from the legend of The Pusey Horn.
There was a hatch (‘the pop hole’) in the wall where children or anyone not wanting to go into the pub could get served. The Inn served as a kind of off-licence, also selling cigarettes, sweets and crisps.
The Horn had an entrance facing The Green and also access from Buckland Road and Chapel Lane.
Maud Ody notes on P20 of her book that (in 1924-1930) ‘the sign was one of a bullock’s horns hanging on a cord and was quite a pleasing picture when swaying in the breeze’.
Around 1944 Morlands decided that it was not feasible to run two pubs in the village and The Horn was sold and became a residential property ‘Hillside’.
Owners of The Horn Inn
|Soon after 1806||James Crowdy owned the Manor House, a great deal of the village ‘including the two inns’||A history of Charney Manor, by Harriet Salisbury, 1989|
|1920||Wantage Brewery Company||Faringdon Advertiser 6th March 1920: Alteration Plans|
|Up to 1944||Morlands Company. Around 1944 Morlands decided that it was not feasible to run two pubs in the village and The Horn was sold and became a residential property ‘Hillside’.||Uncertain|
Publicans of The Horn Inn
|1851||Richard Woodbridge (b.1806 est)|
Charlotte Woodbridge – Wife
Ann Eliza Woodbridge – Daughter
Rebecca Woodbridge – Daughter
Richard Woodbridge -Son, Scholar
Matilda Woodbridge -Daughter, Scholar at home
James Woodbridge -Son
Edwin Woodbridge- Son
Charlotte Woodbridge – Mother/Grandmother, Parish Relief aged 73
Mary Ann Belcher/Servant
|1861||-||No Census entry|
|1883, 1887||William Pembroke||Kelly’s Directory of Berkshire, 1883 & 1887|
|1901||Eliza King (Isaac's Widow)||Faringdon Advertiser, Petty Sessions, 2 July 1901.
|1907-1939||Mr and Mrs Charles Henry Rutland||Mentioned in Faringdon Advertiser 12 July 1913 and in Maud Ody's book and the Census for 1911 and 1939.|
There are various newspaper clipping mentioning The Horn given in the Newspaper Clippings section.
And which pub is this highlighted for sale?