‘The Chequers Inn’ opened certainly before 1806  {in ?} and is still running as the village pub.



It has been owned by:

  • Wantage Brewery
  • Morlands
  • Brakspears (currently)

Berkshire County Council used to hire a room at The Chequers every six months for collecting rent from the small holders and cottagers.

The Chequers Inn and The Horn Inn also had land at the rear and access from ‘Buckland Road’ (see map). The brewery sold this land and the existing bungalows were built.


Soon after 1806James Crowdy owned the Manor House, a great deal of the village 'including the two inns'A history of Charney Manor, by Harriet Salisbury, 1989

Grimshaw, Charles: Chequers Inn and ShopkeeperPost Office Directory of Berkshire, Northamptonshire and Oxfordshire; with Bedfordshire,Buckinghamshire and Huntingdonshire. [1854]
1868Stephen Allen

Thomas Boucher was the publican for 27 years. Mary FROUD [1669] married Thomas BOUCHER in 1873. He was described as an Innkeeper and Bootmaker in 1881 and a shoemaker and Publican in 1891 when they are at The Chequers, Charney Bassett. Kelly’s Directory of Berkshire.

1899 Thomas Boucher Kelly’s Directory of Berkshire, 1889
1907William ChurchKelly’s Directory of Berkshire, 1907
1915 William Kerridge (also the blacksmith)Kelly’s Directory of Berkshire 1915
1920 until at least 1931 (possibly also there during some part of WW I)Alfred Frank Sheppard
Matilda Sheppard
Kelly’s Directory of Berkshire
[Frank given as 'Coach Builder' and Matilda as 'Dress Maker' in 1911 Census]. Frank is buried in St Peter's graveyard.
Dec 1990 Pam and Brian Barrett
2003Phil and Naomi Curtis
CurrentIan and Jacquie

Wantage Brewery Company

Wantage Brewery Ales

The Wantage Brewery Company Limited was registered in 1865 as a limited liability company to acquire the business operating at the Wantage Brewery, Back Street, Wantage. A new company of the same name was registered in 1901 as a reconstruction of the old company. It was taken over by Morland & Company Limited of Abingdon in 1930 and ceased to trade. The Wantage Brewery ceased to brew in 1939.

The advent of motorised transport between the wars meant that breweries could enlarge their areas of operation, and led to an acceleration of takeovers and mergers in the industry. Expansion of Morland trade continued with the acquisition of five further breweries commencing with the Wantage Brewery in 1920.


Barrett Family Tree

The Chequers at Pendon

Pendon Museum preserves the idyllic rural scene and transport of the 1920s and 30s in a miniature form for future generations to enjoy. Pendon Museum, Long Wittenham, Abingdon, Oxfordshire. OX14 4QD.

A fantastic model of The Chequers has been completed in 2017. It was made by Jane Britton. The photos below were taken by John Millman and provided by David Day.

Click and scroll for larger images.