This page shows a fascinating selection of the different maps of Charney Bassett through time.
Extract from John Roques Map of Berkshire 1761
The map represents the landscape over an approximately ten year period.
It purports to show field boundaries and land use, an innovative idea at the time.
There are inaccuracies as can be expected for the time. For example the fields are far too large, the number of fields in enclosed areas should be multiplied anything up to ten times.
The general characteristics of the agrarian landscape can be effectively gauged from the map although details are highly generalised, it is not a precise survey.
Open fields are easily identifiable by their lack of hedges and occasionally by their names (e.g. the East Field between Stanford and Charney Bassett). Areas with stippled lines denote arable land e.g. to the north and east of Charney Bassett. The area to the south of Charney appears to be meadowland. Common wasteland is generally annotated as such whereas parkland (e.g. just to the north of Pusey) is represented by trees.
Open and closed roads are mapped although this is not an infallible guide to all minor lanes.
The map gives a fascinating view of the open field areas that fifty years later had to be radically altered by the Enclosure Movement.
Keck Maps 1765
A Survey of the Manor of Charney with divers Lands and Tenements belonging to Anthony Keck Esq., situate in Goosey and Longworth (surveyor unknown). 1765. Original Map measures 46 inches by 42 inches. Scale 20 inches to 1 mile. The area covered is 1209 acres.
The whole of Charney with small areas of SW Longworth (Sheephouse Field Farm and NE Goosey (Goosey Wick Farm)) is mapped. Also names of adjacent parishes and lordships, and some adjacent owners. Field names and names of furlongs. Buildings, including Charney Manor and church and Goosey Wick Farm drawn in perspective view. Chalbury (now Cherbury) Camp. Village cross. Distinguishes meadow and common by colour. Land depicted is very open with strips (all numbered) shown in 3 open, arable fields named ‘North Field’, ‘West Field’ and ‘East Field’. Round the edge is the common land for grazing, including the Cow Common and the Horse Common. Close to the River Ock are the meadows for hay – West Mead. East Mead and Cow Mead. In the centre of the map is the village itself, showing the old roads and lanes, even having the buildings drawn in – the Mill with its ponds, the church, the manor house with its pigeon house, the pinfold or pound for stray animals, the village cross on the Green and some of the farmhouses and cottages.
Enclosure Map 1804
Enclosure, also spelled Inclosure, the division or consolidation of communal fields, meadows, pastures, and other arable lands in Western Europe into the carefully delineated and individually owned and managed farm plots of modern times.
The Enclosure Movement was a push in the 18th and 19th centuries to take land that had formerly been owned in common by all members of a village, or at least available to the public for grazing animals and growing food, and change it to privately owned land, usually with walls, fences or hedges around it.
Enclosure was the legal process in England during the 18th century of enclosing a number of small landholdings to create one larger farm. Once enclosed, use of the land became restricted to the owner, and it ceased to be common land for communal use.
In England and Wales the term is used for the process that ended the ancient system of arable farming in open fields. Under enclosure, such land is fenced (enclosed) and deeded or entitled to one or more owners.
Village Map 1812
Depicting a very small village with a mill. Charney Wick is shown to the south west but is now the area to the south of the Church.
Village Map 1830
Showing Charney Wick to the south west.
Tithe Map 1847
Tithes were payments made from early times for the support of the parish church and its clergy. Tithes were still payable in kind in a majority of English parishes in 1836 but increasing resentment to this brought about the Commutation Act of 1836. Tithe commissioners were appointed to negotiate land values with local inhabitants and once agreement had been reached a Tithe Apportionment was awarded which was usually accompanied by a large scale map.
Tithes maps evolved from the Enclosure acts introduced in the 18th and 19th centuries. In many cases they produced for the first time a written record of individual properties in a community, and more importantly who occupied the properties. The list of who occupied the properties was hand written into a book together with the names of the owner of the land. Most tithe books also include the value, the purpose or use of the land.
Village Map 1883
Note the many wells, especially along New Road (this road was built late 19th Century), the cultivated land to the west and the Horn Inn adjacent to the Chequers Inn (The Horn closed in 1944). The Chequers is known to have been an Inn since early 1800s. The ancient cross is still there on the green. Charney Mill (corn) is shown as is the School (Boys & Girls).
Village Map 1895
Identifies a Smithy
Village Map 1899
Shows the Methodist Chapel (Weslyan) and Post Office in Chapel Lane, the School, the ancient Cross, the two Inns and lots of wells and pumps.
Village Map 1910
Revised in 1923. Little has changed since 1883 except for the addition of ‘Grange (Remains of)’, now the site of Charney Manor.
The School, Chapel, two Inns, Church and Mill are all shown.
Village Map 1977
There has been development along the Longworth Road to the north and New Road to the west. The orchard has gone to make way for a small close (Orchard Close), built in 1967. The Mill is no longer depicted, just the mill cottage. The school to the left of New Road closed in the early 1980s.
Charney Bassett, previously in Berkshire, became part of Oxfordshire and Vale of the White Horse District in 1974 as part of a national reorganisation of local government.
Village Map 2016
Shows the development along Buckland and Longworth Roads.
Parish Boundary 2016
An irregular shape encompassing Cherbury Camp to the North.
Conservation Area 2016
Charney Bassett Conservation area; Vale of White Horse District Council.
Violet Howes recorded the following which are displayed in the Village Hall;