Vehicles in Charney
First motorised vehicle in Charney, George Bungay [Ruth Gerring]. Identified as probably a Triumph Motorcycle by the National Motorcycle Museum.
The vehicle outside ‘Bobby’ Woolford’s is a 1928 Season (August 1927 – August 1928) Morris 10 cwt Light Van. Features including the oval windows in the side panels, the driver’s door capping indicating winding windows and the side panels being stepped in above the rear wings are characteristic of the Light Van of this Season. Later models of the vans were fitted with an improved radiator design to assist with cooling (the radiator of the van in the image is the “snubnose” type taken from the Morris Cowley design and was found to be wanting for the commercial van application. The “RX” registration, which ran from May 1927 to March 1932, is also consistent with the vehicle being manufactured in the 1927 – 1928 timeframe. So we can say with confidence that the photo was taken sometime after August 1927.Clive Dunn
W Cripps & Son (in Oxford or London?) [Photo from Vic Hodgkins papers]
Vauxhall Bedford Type O lorry. The Type O was manufactured between 1939 and 1953 and the commercial versions were Type OS (short wheelbase, 12 cwt), Type OL (long wheelbase, 5 tons) and Type OT (tipper side). During World War II, production of the commercial versions ceased and Military incarnations appeared. Production of the commercial versions recommenced after the war and the models were discontinued in 1953. The vehicle had a 3.5 litre petrol engine and 4 speed gearbox. The Luton van in the picture would have been specially coach-built on a standard chassis. It is difficult to tell from the perspective of the photo whether this particular vehicle was an OS or OL but suspect it was the former when the length of the bus is used as reference.
Looking at the buildings and pedestrians in the photo, there does not appear to be any evidence of wartime paraphernalia and I would hazard to guess that the scene was post-war; it could not have been taken before 1938.