Soon after the 1870 Education Act, the Bouverie Pusey family of Pusey Estate built Charney school for the village. They owned the land around Charney and had built the New Road and its houses for their estate and farm workers.
Kelly’s Directory of Berkshire, 1887 records;
Kelly’s Directory of Berkshire, 1899 records;
Kelly’s Directory of Berkshire, 1915 records enlargement of the school;
The school continued to educate the children from Charney and Lyford from five to fourteen years until just after the Second World War when it was closed through lack of numbers.
It was re-opened, this time for five to eleven year old children who would go on to Faringdon and later Wantage Schools. When Denchworth School closed, the children from Denchworth also came to Charney. In July 1981 the number of children attending the Charney (Bouverie Pusey) School dropped to thirteen and the school was closed for the last time.
The school building was put up for sale by tender in 1986 – School Sale Document (PDF).
BERKSHIRE EDUCATION COMMITTEE – Stag facing left.
NEVER ABSENT NEVER LATE – Female figure representing learning, open book in lap, with children gathered around, one holding another book and a hat/boater to the right. All within laurel leaves.
EDGE – The recipient’s name is inscribed on the edge.
The name on this one is ‘Alice Bond‘. Do you know who she or her family is? If so please let us know at the history website – we would love to hear.
The Longworth Parish Magazine September 1907 records: Prize-giving at the School. – Two boys, Sidney Dance and Charles Talbot, received the “never absent, never late” award. Charles Talbot also won the diocesan prize for Religious Knowledge, and received a prize for good conduct. The prizes were presented by Mrs F J Taylor.
In July 1910 – The Bishop’s prize of a Prayer Book, given for the best knowledge of Bible, and Prayer Book subjects was won by Edward Hammond, certificates being given to Vera Bedwell and Willie Fuller. The County Council’s medals for perfect attendance during the year were given to Dorothy Gadwell and Archie Parker, and book prizes were given : (1) for general proficiency to H. Chamberlain, E. Woodbridge, M. Kerridge, V. Bedwell, N. Fuller, C. Franklin, S. Large, S. Fuller, E. Parker; (2) for good conduct to Eva Wheeler, E. Hayden, Owen Fuller, A. Belcher, W. Fuller; (3) for good attendance to D. Bedwell, E. Barrett, K. Kerridge, T. Kerridge, A. Parker, H. Wheeler. G. Woodbridge, Archie Parker, T. Wheeler, G. Belcher, C. Bedwell, P. Gilbert. (See 1910 school photo below for some of the children).
Joe Ody -3rd from right, back row
Pat – 3rd from right, front row
Nancy Haines (front row left), Harold Haines (2nd from right)
School photo c1910
*, Freddie? Hayden [L], *, Alder, *, *, Walter(?) Bedwell [L]
*, Hawkins? [Bedlam], *, * ,*, *
Alfred Butler, *, *, Connie Bedwell [L], *, Phyllis Gilbert [L], Violet Butler, Freda Cox
*, *, Henry Cox, Nellie Wheeler, Lurline Ballard [L], Helda Douglas, *, *, Hayden [L]
Kneeling front row L to R:
Diana Sharpus, Brenda Dore, Shirley Mills, Wendy Hodgkins, Daphne Wheeler, Ruth Sharpus
Standing L to R:
Far left – Valarie Cripps, Snowman – Roger Stevens, Elf – Tony Dore, Star hatted – Maureen Clarke, far right – Peter Stevens
Behind Wendy Hodgkins – Harold Cox, just right of snowman – Joanna Ody and Colin Wheeler
The Christmas Concerts
Longworth Parish Magazine, March 1909
The Christmas Concert, held early in January, was a complete success. On January 28, through the kindness of Mrs Pusey, the school children enjoyed a Tea and Treat, at which each child received a present. The distribution of the Sunday School and other prizes was followed by a dance.
Longworth, Parish Magazine 1911, February 1911
A very enjoyable Entertainment was given by the School-children just before their breaking up for the holidays on Wednesday, December 21, at 7 p.m., the main feature of the Entertainment being a musical play, “The Snowman,” preceded and followed by songs and recitations in character.
Bad Conduct – School Punishment Book
The School Punishment Book (May 1902 – Jan 1943) is held in the Oxford History Centre (and a copy by the History Group).
Balling out; talking while a visitor was in school; whistling; talking; coming late; talking whilst mistress was speaking to a visitor; careless work in dictation; taking coloured chalk; taking her neighbour’s dinner; dirty work in exercise book; throwing water over ‘x’ and wetting him through; playing during lesson; talking during marching time; spitting on the floor; bad behaviour during prayers; insubordination; throwing an article to class teacher instead of passing it; throwing a stone which broke school window; giving an impudent answer; grinning when punished; not learning the spelling set for homework; destruction of new paper given them on which to do homework (prep sketch plan of Charney); throwing blotting paper or cotton wool (soaked in ink) about the room; writing a rude rhyme on drawing board; climbing up wall of school causing damage.
These usually resulted in punishment of 1 or 2 ‘stripes/strokes with the cane’, sometimes 3.
The Log books for the school are held in The Berkshire Records office, Reading ref C/EL 41/2. Example extracts are given below.
Vol 1 starts 19 October 1877
Dec 7th 1877 ‘punished several boys for staying away in the morning to go hunting’
73 Children in 1899
78 in 1904
Vol 2 starts 22 Nov 1894… Oct 1923 (no mentions of the the war)
‘I have examined the Register this morning and have found them quite correct. W H Bath. Manager’
‘13 March 1915. Received a communication from the Education Office that boys over 12 years of age who have been excused from attendance to enable them to take up agricultural employment are still under legal obligation to attend school under the Bye-laws and their names must not be removed from the school register. Also they must be entered for medical inspection at the next inspection and should be entered on the schedule for those children about to leave.’
St Mary’s Longworth Parish Magazine 1910
The post of Assistant Teacher at the Schools, rendered vacant by the resignation of Miss Stevenson, has been filled by Miss Collett, from Maidenhead, who commenced her duties on Monday, April 11.
A number of improvements and repairs have been made at the Schools in accordance with the wishes of the County Council. The Schools were reopened on Tuesday, September 13 after six-weeks’ holiday.
Originals held by Joe Ody